Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Little History Of The Standing Kitchen Mixer

In a time when you can use devices the size of your palm to log onto the Internet, listen to thousands of dulcet compositions, and gate photos, as flourishing call people all over the world, it ' s hard to scheme that at one time a standing kitchen mixer was considered a wondering of technology.

The original patent received for an electric mixer was given to Rufus W Eastman in 1885, as claimed by Dennis Thompson in his book Antique Electric Mixers. It was a rare apparatus as it could be powered by either electricity or water. In 1908 an engineer by the name of Herbert Johnson watched a baker mixing bread dough with a metal spoon. This caused Johnston to create the commercial standing mixer. In 1914, 80 quart commercial mixers were sold to the public and were rapidly known as a machine to make labor easier. A businessman ' s wife who was using the product in her home said this was " the greatest kitchen aid she ever used " and then a brand name was established. KitchenAid mixers are commonly found in many home kitchens. A commercial stated that a KitchenAid mixer, with its accessories, could " do everything! " The current accessories can form pasta, stuff sausage, mash food, and make citrus fruit juice, as well as ice cream.

The Sunbeam department of the Chicago Flexible Shaft Company got a patent on its own type of kitchen standing mixer with beaters in 1928 and 1929. The MixMaster was introduced in 1930 and was much cheaper than the KitchenAid. The MixMaster was such a favorite that its name became an icon for all standing mixers, the same way Kleenex represents any kind of tissue or Band - Aid means any kind of taped bandage.

I recall the mixer that my mother owned, which was a strong Sunbeam MixMaster with an ivory colored frame for the motor, a black bottom, and a green bowl made of glass. We loved licking the beaters after mixing a cake, not worrying about the health hazards of eating the raw eggs that were in the batter. I don ' t remember my mom ever having a different mixer, which is an example of its durability. Juicer and food grinder attachments were also included with it.

After I left home, the mixers I had were hand - held versions that could mix up a nice cake with homemade icing and sometimes I made mashed potatoes, but not too much else. My husband brought with him an old Sunbeam MixMaster when we got married that was very similar to the one my mom had. His also was one given to him by his mother.

The Sunbeam MixMaster I inherited from my mother - in - law worked just fine for me for many years. In the end, for one of my more memorable birthdays I demanded a beautiful KitchenAid standing mixer in cobalt blue with a lot of nice attachments. My mixer will endure for years, and I ' ll get to give it to someone else someday.